Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Stupid Songs about Going home

Occasionally I find myself reflecting on words that I repeated at my wedding from the book of Ruth:
Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.

Usually, I’m thinking about it just after family visits or when I hear songs that say, “I want to go home.”

Home is a difficult concept for me. I know it hurts my parents’ feelings when I say this, but moving as a kid gave me a sense of impermanence to houses and places and home. I’ve moved 17 times in my life.

All of this being said, I had a couple of thoughts for today reflecting on all of this and not wanting to ever hear I want to go home again:
1. This sense of temporary isn’t necessarily a bad thing (2 Corinthians 4). Sometimes it gives me somewhat of a complex, but for the most part, it’s not a bad thing. I always have confidence that this too shall pass, that there is hope and a future and that the sun will come out tomorrow.

2. The other thing is the feeling that my heart is split a couple of ways sometimes. I know that you’re supposed to feel that where your husband is and where your family is will be your home, but it’s difficult when those things are separate.
I’m having a heart split kind of day. When you’re 21 and you get married to the person who knows you the best, you say things like where you go, I’m going to go and I’ll walk with you wherever God calls us. But the reality of doing that on a day to day basis when you’re 26 can get a little messy. *Sigh*
I’m done whining. Family, come back and see us again. Okay now, I’m done whining.

3. Finally, (okay, I guess I have more), I'm trying to figure out that those words may also mean more than physical places. That God and my husband may have some things for us that would be better than my own plans (I know that for sure about God's plans; not convinced that MJ's are better :)
And how do I know which are God plans and which ones are Elissa plans?
That can be a little frustrating to figure out.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

love you

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you too. In our defense, we moved you 5 times. (but you were much more vulnerable then, I know)
Mom & Dad

10:24 AM  
Blogger Elissa said...

Calm Down Mom and Dad.
No one's blaming you for anything.

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home